Dementia and Alzheimer’s are diagnoses that are often feared. However, if memory issues are recognised early there are lots of things that can be done to help you find ways around difficulties and to improve the quality of your life.
We have become a Dementia-friendly practice and are working to improve the service we offer our patients diagnosed with dementia and their carers. These will include:
- Putting a note on the records of any patient identified as suffering from dementia so that they can be offered special support when phoning or visiting the surgery.
- The practice invites all patients with dementia to identify their main carer, so that we can offer them carer support, discuss plans for emergency care, update contact numbers to remind them of appointments etc.
- Providing Carers of our patients living with dementia relevant information relating to the patient where appropriate, for example dates and times of hospital appointments the patient has been referred to by the GPs.
- Offering regular health checks and annual flu vaccine.
- Assessing our environment to ensure it is as accessible and easy to navigate around as possible for all our patients,
- Signing up to become a member of the Worthing Dementia Action Alliance.
- BBC Reminiscence Archive. Provides access to a selection of content from the BBC Archives, designed to support reminiscence work with people with dementia.